Visual Studio 2010 Workaround

Dec 27, 2010 at 7:40 PM

Hi All,

I don't know if anyone else experienced this issue, so I am presenting another work-around to get the templates into visual studio 2010.

When I checked my visual studio 2008 templates folder, the zip files where there. In my case, I extracted the files from the msi file and copied them into Visual Studio 2010 templates.

1. Run the Command Prompt as an Administrator

2. Run the following command. (Change the source and target folder to the location of your msi) for example: msiexec /a c:\temp\codeendeavors\CodeEndeavors.Templates.Installer.msi /qb TARGETDIR=c:\temp\codeendeavors\target

3. Go to the target folder. copy the extract zip file to their respective vb and csharp folders.

4. That's it. Run visual Studio 2010 and create a new project. You should see the templates now.

Dec 28, 2010 at 4:10 AM

Sorry, I missed a step:

1. Run the Command Prompt as an Administrator

2. Run the following command. (Change the source and target folder to the location of your msi) for example: msiexec /a c:\temp\codeendeavors\CodeEndeavors.Templates.Installer.msi /qb TARGETDIR=c:\temp\codeendeavors\target

3. Go to the target folder. copy the extract zip file to their respective vb and csharp folders.

4. Go to the visual Studio command line. Type the following: 'devenv.exe /InstallVSTemplates

5. That's it. Run visual Studio 2010 and create a new project. You should see the templates now.

Dec 28, 2010 at 4:42 AM

Don't bother with the above workaround. 

When you create a project and select a template. For example, the ajax template, you get the following:

C:\users\tim\AppData\local\Temp\mjufvs5y.bbh\Temp\DnnModule.Target(17,5):

The Imported project "C:\users\tim\AppData\Local\Temporary Projects\lib\msbuild\MSBuild.Community.Tasks.Targets" was not found.

Confirm that the path in the <Import> declaration is correct, and that the file exists on disk.

My conclusion: The templates don't work in Visual Studio 2010.

Sorry for the confusion.

Comments are welcome from anyone who has been able to get the templates working in VS 2010

Feb 4, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Run the msi.. It will not check whether you will studio2008 or not  It will store the templates in below path for C# :

C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual C# \

For Vb.Net :

C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual Basic\

Copy all the files from here and , put the files under

C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\My Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Templates\ProjectTemplates\<Visual C#> or <Visual Basic>\

Now launch Vs2010, Select New Project , Select either Visual basic or Visual C# , You must be able to see the template.

Thanks